Locally owned and operated, employing Vermonters, & actively supporting our Community.
The Messenger has been an integral part of the community keeping readers educated and informed about local news and events. The Messenger has received numerous journalism awards in national, regional, and statewide competitions. To address greater commercial printing demands for small local businesses, the Messenger opened a marketing agency in the building – Messenger Marketing. Over the last thirty years, Messenger Marketing, previously Messenger Print & Design, has grown from a print shop to a full-service marketing agency handling traditional print jobs, while helping local businesses with branding and integrated marketing strategies executed via print, web and social media channels.
Working together the staff of the St. Albans Messenger and Messenger Marketing are capable of a wide variety of creative services including advertising, advertorial campaigns, social media support, videography, graphic & website design and development and hosting. All of these services are available in one location, with one team.
The St. Albans Messenger is part of the O’Rourke Media Group, which includes the Milton Independent, Colchester Sun, Essex Reporter, and Addison Independent. Contact us today to advertise in these family-owned, community newspapers.
The St. Albans Messenger has been an icon in Franklin County for over a century. Enoch Whiting began publishing the local daily news with an evening newspaper in 1861. Former Vermont Governor, Edward Curtis Smith, served as President of the Messenger Company in the 1890’s. The first editorial offices and press were located on Kingman Street in St. Albans. Before moving to its current location at 281 North Main Street in 1959, the Messenger held offices in the Levy Building on Main Street downtown. Built in 1901, the building that now houses the Messenger offices and printing press, was once headquarters for the electric streetcar line that served the city, St. Albans Bay and Swanton. The streetcar service ended in 1921.