At first glance, this poster suggest that there was a polo match at the Richford Roller Rink, but on further investigation, it was discovered that the St. Albans Crescents was a men’s roller derby team. In the 1800s, several communities had roller teams and a contest was often paired with ge…

We're always interested in hearing about news in our community. Let us know what's going on!

The Saint Albans Bay used to have a bustling marina that was once as busy as Burlington’s waterfront. This image, featured on a postcard in the Saint Albans Museum’s vintage postcard collection, shows the Ticonderoga carrying passengers into St. Albans. In the image, a trolley can be seen br…

These young boys and girls from the Messenger Street School look so proud wearing their patrol uniforms. The patrol (crossing guards) was organized in 1934 and through the years won several certificates and awards. The patrol won first place in the state competition in Burlington in 1941.

ST. ALBANS CITY – The Shady Lawn Service Station was built in 1930 by Dr. Francis Norris, a prominent ear, nose, eye and throat specialist. His home, as seen here behind the service station, was located on Ferris Street. Richard “Dickie” Miller, as a young boy, heard the name Peter Barker be…

Pictured above is Edson Joseph Chamberlin, who was born in Lancaster, N.H., and later became a St. Albans resident. He began working with the Central Vermont Railroad in the 1870s, sparking a long career in service of several railway systems. Some of those railway systems connected Vermont t…

ST. ALBANS – This painting features the Saint Albans Hospital, gifted to the Saint Albans Museum by Charlotte Dorion. The building is more recognizable today as part of the Bellows Free Academy campus.

Pictured above is Ann Eliza Brainerd Smith, born in 1819 in Saint Albans. She is most commonly recognized as the wife of J. Gregory Smith, the Governor of Vermont during the Civil War, or as the daughter of Senator Lawrence Brainerd, notable abolitionist. 

ST. ALBANS – Pictured here is a Royal Worchester China Service Set. This particular set, which was owned by J. Gregory Smith, Governor of Vermont between 1863 and 1865, had presidential aspirations. President Abraham Lincoln had scheduled a visit to Vermont for the summer of 1865, but that v…

ST. ALBANS – Step back in time to downtown St. Albans in 1925. The Sweet Shop, owned by Theodore Costes, was located at 12 North Main Street. These images depict the interior shortly after opening.

ST. ALBANS – This E. H. Royce photo was taken at the corner of Lake and North Main Streets, looking north. The first building is the American Hotel and Café, known as the American House now. In the front of the hotel, in an addition that no longer exists, is Winifred’s Children Shop. Note th…

This photograph was taken on June 8, 1968 at the American Legion, Green Mountain Post, in St. Albans. The evening honored Rebecca Grant of Enosburg Falls (front row, third from left), who was awarded their annual nursing scholarship.

ST. ALBANS – Saint Albans native Arthur Scott Bailey was a prolific writer of young children’s natural history stories with plots of birds, forest and farmyard animals and insects.

ST. ALBANS – No doubt you are so ready for warmer weather, especially without snow! Enjoying Lake Champlain is eagerly thought of with anticipation and these two photos show some boys ready to “dive-in” or boat on the lake while attending Kamp Kill Kare.

Throughout the country in the 1930s and 1940s, camp libraries (with the Civilian Conservation Corp-CCC), book mobiles and bookwagons (one combined word was used) were formed. As this photo shows, taken in front of the capital building in Montpelier, these are some of the car/vans used in Ver…

The Seymour farmhouse is located on the east side of Swanton Road (Route 7), about one mile north of St. Albans City. The property itself was most likely bought by the Miegs family in 1785, then the Church family around 1800. The property itself was most likely bought by the Miegs family in …

BURLINGTON — Tim Camisa’s museum of Spavin Cure relics has gone from idea to reality — just not in Enosburg Falls. At least, not yet.

“Among the great prides of the new City of St. Albans were its twin schools constructed in the civic building campaign of 1897. The hipped-roof, brick and stone, two-and-a-half-story schools were built for the first through fourth grades. They are T-shaped in plan with entrance in the leg of…

Silas Hathaway first came to St. Albans in 1788 and found the town to his liking. He returned the following year with his family and household goods. Until 1793, they lived in a small wooden shelter, but then began building a large wood-framed home at what is now 255 North Main Street. It wa…

ST. ALBANS- This “Wolf Monument” which is located atop Aldis Hill, was placed there in commemoration of the shooting of a wolf by Lawrence Brainerd. It states: On this spot in the year 1839, Lawrence Brainerd shot a grey wolf which had been ravaging the northeast part of Franklin Co. The bes…

On Sunday, July 4, 1976 at 2:45 p.m., a Time Capsule was buried adjacent to the Clark Veterans Memorial in Taylor Park. An engraved marker was later placed over the site. The vault was constructed of 1-½ inches of concrete outside and was lined with a ¼ inch resin coating, making it impervio…

For the upcoming 50th anniversary of St. Albans City School, Mitch Craib, a staff member, and two students are working towards making a documentary about the early years of the school and the development of educational facilities in St. Albans, Vermont.

When St. Albans celebrated the 100th anniversary of the arrival of the first train in the city on October 18, 1950, the Central Vermont Railway turned back the pages of history in establishing a new precedent in naming, as well as numbering its locomotives. The first CV engine to carry a nam…

Alex Lehning, the director of the Saint Albans Museum, is currently writing a history of the Grateful Dead concerts at the Franklin County Airport in Highgate, VT. They represented both a cultural and economic moment for our community, as well as controversy.

The Saint Albans Museum features a replica uniform for a soldier from the 10th Regiment of Foot, a British military unit stationed in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Those troops were sent by King George to suppress rebellion in Boston in October 1775.

PFC Hojaboom was born in Highgate in 1887. He would serve in the US Army during World War I. He was a member of Battery B, 347th Field Artillery, 7th Army Corps. He was in the Army of Occupation following the war.

We have been trying to figure out the location of this postcard. Can you help us?

This photograph was taken by railroad historian Jim Shaughnessy on March 29, 1956.  Phil Giroux had a general furniture store at the corner of Lake Street and Federal Street.  The building is still there today.

If you were traveling down Lower Welden Street on July 26, 1928 perhaps you would have seen this photograph being taken

In October, 1950, the railroad celebrated the arrival of the first train in St. Albans one hundred years earlier in 1850. The event included the arrival of several engines, which were put on display. These engines included the antique wood-burning engine #40. A wood-burning engine is distinc…