- Proposed general fund budget is $975,448, with an estimated $398,714 to be raised by taxes.
- Proposed highway fund budget is $723,924, with an estimated $573,224 to be raised by taxes.
- The town is requesting putting $50,000 in escrow for the Highgate Public Library building fund.
- The selectboard is asking voters to approve the usage of $250,000 in general fund reserves for the purchase of the Machia Estate, located at the corner of Armand Road and VT Route 78.
- The town is asking to appropriate $7,424 to Franklin County Home Health Agency, Inc., for home health services and $10,000 to Franklin County Sheriff’s Office for directed investigations.
- The board is asking for voter approval to sell town-owned properties located on Rheaume Road, VT Route 78 and Lamkin Street.
- Voters are being asked to vote all public questions by Australian Ballot.
- The proposed budget is $5 million, increasing just $57,000.
- The anticipated tax rate is up 7 cents to $0.7374.
- The equalized per pupil count increased for the fourth year in a row. This year Highgate added so many students after the start of the school year that an additional classroom teacher had to be hired.
- Despite the increase in students, spending per pupil is up $1,259 to $13,982.
Municipal and Town Officers
- Sharon Bousquet is running unopposed for the two years remaining on her three-year seat on the selectboard. Steve LaFar is also running unopposed for a two-year seat.
- John Patnode is challenging incumbent Bruce Butler for a three-year seat on the board, vacated by current board chair Chris Yates.
- Mark Bessette is challenging incumbent Denis Boucher for his seat on the MVU board.
Go back to The Online Guide to Town Meeting Day.