Propane explosion injures Swanton man

Michelle Monroe

By Michelle Monroe

Staff Writer

Just
The Facts

Owned by

SWANTON — The Swanton Village Fire Dept. was called to an explosion in a private Church Street garage Friday morning just after 10.

Warren Caswell was working alone in his garage when the explosion occurred, said Vermont State Police. Caswell called for assistance and connected the source to a propane tank.

When firefighters arrived on the scene, there was a piece of equipment on fire in the center of the garage, according to Swanton Village Fire Chief Tim Girard.

Girard said firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the blaze. The cause of the fire was not readily apparent, according to Girard and Vermont State Police were called in to investigate.

Vermont State Police reported Friday afternoon that the explosion had sent Caswell to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

State Police estimated that the damage to the garage exceeded $15,000.

Although the exact cause of the fire is still to be determined, it is not considered intentional.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>