HIGHGATE: Blaze demolishes apartment building

Cause tied to chimney fire

Michelle Monroe

By Michelle Monroe

Executive Editor

Just
The Facts

Owned by

ST. ALBANS — A newly converted apartment building on the Gore Road was destroyed by fire Monday morning.

Christopher Usell, a lieutenant with the Highgate Fire Department, reported that the call of a chimney fire came in around 8:10.

“When we arrived there was fire blowing out of the roof already,” said Usell. “It started in the chimney and went to the attic right quick.”

Fire departments from Franklin, Sheldon, St. Albans Town, Swanton and the Quebec towns of Phillipsburg and Bedford were called for assistance. There were 30 to 40 firefighters on scene, according to Usell.

Firefighters were able to confine the blaze to the upper story, but the lower story suffered water damage. The house is a total loss, according to Usell.

The lower level apartment was occupied, but the upper level was vacant, Usell reported.

Because the roof caved in, firefighters spent two hours searching out hot spots, and some remained on scene until 4 p.m., Usell reported. Ice caused by the cold weather added to the difficulty fighting the fire.

The building is located on Fisher Hill and is owned by Richard Noel.