Firemen suppress city blaze

Falling siding severs power

Michelle Monroe

By Michelle Monroe

Executive Editor

Just
The Facts

Owned by

ST. ALBANS CITY — A fire on Stebbins Street Sunday evening left 1,800 St. Albans City residents without power for two hours, according to the St. Albans Fire Dept.

A passing motorist reported a fire within a recreational vehicle at around 6 p.m. Upon arrival, firefighters discovered the building at 14 Stebbins St. also was also on fire.

The St. Albans Town Fire Dept. also was called to provide mutual aid.

Forty-one firefighters from the two departments battled the two fires for approximately two hours, said City Fire and Police Chief Gary Taylor.

The property, owned by Sam Wunsch, is under a safety order issued by Capt. Matt Mulheron of the city fire department. The order, as was reported in the Messenger on Dec. 17, gives Wunsch until Jan. 9 to remove all debris and unregistered vehicles from the site and to properly seal the building.

The fire has been ruled accidental.

According to Taylor, Wunsch was removing large sheets of metal siding from the exterior of the building when he dropped a piece that severed the power line.

The line arched across the building and then dropped onto the camper, starting both fires.

When the line ignited the camper and building, a transformer blew, severing electrical service.