Edward St. fire forces seven from their home

Blaze pinpointed to clothes dryer

Elodie Reed

By Elodie Reed

Staff Writer

Just
The Facts

Owned by

ST. ALBANS CITY — Just under 50 firefighters from St. Albans Town and City Fire Departments responded to a fire at 12 Edwards St. over the weekend.

According to City Fire Chief Gary Taylor, the call came in at 6:30 p.m. on Friday, and the front of the apartment building was fully ablaze by the time firefighters arrived.

City firefighters called in for mutual aid from the St. Albans Town Fire Department, and 45 firefighters were on scene for the duration of the fire.

Firefighters were bountiful in this area over the weekend, thanks to the 125th Annual Vermont State Firefighters’ Association held in St. Albans.

The structure, owned by Liam and Roxanna Riley, was ultimately saved, and none of the seven occupants were injured in the fire. One firefighter sustained a minor burn to his right hand.

The cause of the fire, according to Taylor, was an electric clothes dryer. “It appears to be directly related to an electric dryer on the front porch that was plugged into an extension cord,” he said by phone this morning.

All seven building occupants have since been placed in temporary housing by the American Red Cross.