Costly fire in Fairfax

Woodstove likely source of Mon. blaze

Elodie Reed

By Elodie Reed

Staff Writer

Just
The Facts

Owned by

FAIRFAX — A fire here Monday evening left a split-level ranch, garage, and a recreational motorhome heavily damaged, though nobody was hurt.

According to Fairfax Fire Dept. Lt. Dave Raymond, a 911 call was placed just after 8 last night for a fire at 116 King Rd. Fairfax and Georgia fire departments responded to the scene and were there until midnight.

The inhabitants of the home, listed by the town clerk’s office as being owned by Richard Renfrew, all got out safely.

“We called Georgia right off,” Raymond said. “We had a good turnout of people in trucks.”

Smoke and heat damaged the home. He added that the recreational vehicle and the garage were “a total loss.”

“Structure-wise, the garage took the worst of it,” Raymond said.

As for the cause, Raymond said the fire looked to have originated from a woodstove in the lower level of the house near the garage. “At this point we’re saying it was accidental,” he said.

He added that various members of the multi-generation family were staying with other family members while Red Cross was helping the rest.