Blaze destroys home in Town

Woodstove likely fire source

Michelle Monroe

By Michelle Monroe

Staff Writer

Just
The Facts

Owned by

ST. ALBANS TOWN — A St. Albans home was destroyed by fire Sunday morning.

Town firefighters were called to 7 Pike Dr. at around 8:30 a.m. after the owner, Sharon Marchessault, reported a chimney fire, according to St. Albans Town Assistant Fire Chief Randy Swann.

“It quickly got upgraded to a structure fire,” said the assistant chief.

When firefighters arrived on the scene, flames were coming through the roof. A 10 mph northwest wind helped to spread the fire, said Swann.

The owner was home at the time of the blaze and escaped safely.

Firefighters from Swanton, Georgia, and St. Albans City provided assistance.

“We had the fire knocked down in about an hour, but there were hot spots,” said Swann. Firefighters remained on the scene until 2:30 p.m.

The house was destroyed, with water and smoke damage to the bottom floor.

Swann reported firefighters were able to salvage a number of personal belongings. Both the owner and her dog were unscathed.

The fire is have spread from a woodstove, but Vermont State Police have been called to confirm the cause.

Pike Drive is located off of Kellogg Road between Jewett Avenue and Comstock Road.